I 864 required documents

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jiwoo Ryu
      Participant

Hi I have a couple of question regarding the required documents when filing I-864.
      To explain the situation, I am the spouse of the immigrant who will be applying for marriage based gc. However, since I am a student, my income does not meet the requirement of sponsoring my spouse. My brother in-law is going to be the joint sponsor. I understand that we both have to file I-864.

My first question is, do I, my brother in-law, or both provide the W2, IT returns, and pay stubs?
      What if the only document that I have in hand is the 2014 tax return form? (which was the first year I filed a tax report?)
      Last, what do I write on the section that requires me to write 3 years of income.

Ghost
      Participant

I am not an attorney but I could provide some feedback. If you are filing as petitioner and your BIL is filing as joint petitioner, then you both have to provide evidence of support including w-2, tax records, etc. You will have to attach a separate piece of paper and write why you don’t have tax records for 2015. Each form is also different. It explains to write, “none” or “n/a” when specified. Again, attach a separate piece of paper and write you don’t have income. If your joint petitioner can provide sufficient funds, you should be ok. When you attach the extra documents make sure you sign and date. Search the net on extra info. Hope this helps!

Tatiana
      Participant

My husband did not have to fill out the tax return last year, is there a possibility USCIS will be suspicious of that?

Ghost
        Participant

Absolutely. He will have to provide evidence why he did not file taxes. I did not have any income from 2013 and 2014 but provided sufficient evidence stating that I was out of the country.

I did read it somewhere that if you did not file your taxes (unless you have special reasons not to), then it will be difficult if impossible for him to sponsor you. I don’t want to give false information. Please check the instructions or search the web. Hope that helps!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must <a class='bp-menu bp-login-nav kleo-show-login' href='#'>Log In</a> to reply.

Legal Disclaimer: We are not affiliated with any U.S. Government Agency. We are not Immigration Attorneys and no content on this website should be construed as legal advice.

©2020 GREENCARDEZ, LLC

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account