Marriage based Green Card – Optional Forms

Now that you have completed the Required Forms section, let’s explore what the optional forms are and what purpose do they fill. Depending on your needs you may file all, none, or some of these.

There are 3 optional forms:

  1. I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
    • Upon approval, this allows the Green Card applicant to legally work in the U.S. while the Green Card application is in progress.
    • This one is typically approved before the green card approval, so it comes highly recommended, even if you currently have a work visa e.g. H1B.
  2. I-131, Application for Advance Parole
    • Upon approval, this allows the Green Card applicant to return back to the U.S. after traveling outside of United States.
    • USCIS states it is NOT guaranteed that you may be admitted back despite of having this approved
  3. G-1145, E-Notification of Application
    • This form is a request to be notified by text message and/or email when USCIS receives your application.

Personally, we recommend filing Form I-765 and Form G-1145 only.

File I-131 only if you’re planning on traveling outside the U.S. in the foreseeable future. I-131 can be filed later without any additional cost, if need arises. Also, keep in mind that approval of I-131 does not guarantee a re-entry, so we’re not a big fan of traveling outside the Unites States while the application is in process.

However if you have pressing circumstances , we highly recommend consulting an immigration attorney to discuss your case.

Legal Disclaimer: We are not affiliated with any U.S. Government Agency. We are not Immigration Attorneys and no content on this website should be construed as legal advice.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account